• Diabetes : The bitter gourd is specifically used as a folk medicine for diabetes. Several researches proved
that it contains a hypoglycaemic or insulin-like principle, designated as 'plant-insulin', which has been
found highly beneficial in lowering the blood and urine sugar levels.
• Piles : Juice of the fresh leaves of bitter gourd is valuable in piles.
• Blood Disorder : Bitter gourd is highly beneficial in the treatment of blood disorders like blood boils,
scabies, itching, psoriasis, ring-worm and other fungal diseases.
• Respiratory Disorder : Bitter gourd plant roots are used in folk medicine for respira tory disorders from
• Alcoholism : Leaf juice is beneficial in the treatment of alcoholism.
• Cholera : Fresh juice of leaves of bitter gourd is also an effective medicine in early stages of cholera and
other types of diarrhoea during summer.